a creative encouragement project by Sarah J. Kass

Monday, August 30, 2010

"She is quite a common fairy," Peter explained apologetically, "she is called Tinker Bell because she mends the pots and kettles."

"And so," he went on good-naturedly,
"there ought to be one fairy for every boy and girl."
"Ought to be? Isn't there?"
"No. You see children know such a lot now,
they soon don't believe in fairies,
and every time a child says `I don't believe in fairies, '
there is a fairy somewhere that falls down dead."

"Peter," she cried, clutching him,

"you don't mean to tell me that there is a fairy in this room!"


"She was here just now," he said a little impatiently.

"You don't hear her, do you?"

and they both listened.

"The only sound I hear," said Wendy, "is like a tinkle of bells."
"Well, that's Tink, that's the fairy language."
"I think I hear her too."

Editorial: Koto Bolofo for Vogue via Papermode
Exerpt: J.M. Barrie's Peter Pan